Choosing the Best Law Firm For You
Just like any other product or service, you should conduct diligent research prior to choosing legal services.
After acquiring referrals of various lawyers with expertise in the required practice area, you should assess each firm meticulously. Following are some useful steps to help you identify the right lawyer for your legal requirements.
SBEMP (Slovak, Baron, Empey, Murphy & Pinkney) law firm provides professional legal advice and services to clients in Palm Springs, Palm Desert, Rancho Mirage, Inland Empire, Orange County, San Diego, New Jersey, New York, and surrounding locations.
Schedule Candidate Interviews
Interviewing with a lawyer is a very effective way to evaluate their legal abilities. A majority of legal professionals offer an initial consultation for up to an hour at no charge. Some vital questions to ask the legal counselor during this meeting are as follows:
- What expertise do you have in the required area of practice?
- How long have you been practicing for?
- What is your track record of successful cases?
- What percentage of your caseload is similar to my legal matter?
- Do you possess any specialized skills or certifications?
- What are your fees and fee structure?
- Do you have malpractice insurance? If yes, what is the amount?
- Will anyone else be working on my case? If yes, what are their fees?
- Do you outsource any important legal tasks?
- In addition to your fees, what additional expenses may be incurred (filing fees, postage, copy fees, etc.)?
- What is the billing cycle?
- Can you offer references from previous clients?
- Do you have a written representation agreement or fee agreement?
- How will you inform me of the developments in my case?
Bear in mind that higher fees do not always translate into working with a more capable attorney. Conversely, a low fee may not necessarily indicate inexperience, inability, or other problems.
Following the meeting with the attorney, you should seek answers to the below mentioned questions:
- Are the credentials and experience of the attorney in line with my legal requirements?
- Does the lawyer offer honest and prompt answers to my questions?
- Is this attorney someone whom I would feel at ease working with?
- Am I sure that this lawyer has the qualifications and skills to handle my case?
- Am I comfortable with this attorney’s fees as well as the fee structure?
- Am I comfortable with the representation agreement and/or fee agreement terms?
Consult Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
Martindale-Hubbell is an excellent resource for in-depth information regarding a law practice and its attorneys. This source can be located digitally at Martindale.com and your neighborhood public and law libraries.
Tour the Attorney’s Law Office
A lot of things can be obvious about an attorney from their law office. You can request a brief office tour beyond the conference area or office where you consulted with the attorney. Things to note are whether the office environment is welcoming and friendly, the systems are effective and organized and how approachable and dedicated are the attorneys and other staff members.
SBEMP LLP is a full service law firm with attorney offices in Palm Springs (Palm Desert, Inland Empire, Rancho Mirage), CA; Costa Mesa (Orange County), CA; San Diego, CA; Princeston, NJ; and New York, NY.
DISCLAIMER: This blog post does not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by reading it. This blog post may be considered ATTORNEY ADVERTISING in some states. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome. Additional facts or future developments may affect subjects contained within this blog post. Before acting or relying upon any information within this newsletter, seek the advice of an attorney.