May 22, 2020
INSURANCE COMMISSIONER ORDERS REFUNDS OF PREMIUMS
California Insurance Commissioner Ricardo Lara ordered insurance companies to refund premiums for March and April, and May if Shelter in Place restrictions continue. These refunds must be refunded no later than August 2020. The Commissioner’s Order applies to the following impacted CA policyholders:
- Private passenger automobile insurance
- Commercial automobile insurance
- Workers’ compensation insurance
- Commercial multiple peril insurance
- Commercial liability insurance
- Medical malpractice insurance
- Any other line of coverage where the measures of risk have become substantially overstated as a result of the pandemic.
You maybe be able to obtain some relief based on this order. If so, make certain that you will be receiving such a refund. If you have questions or need assistance on COVID related insurance coverage issues, contact SBEMP attorney Bruce Bauer at (760)322-2275.