Investor sentiment is important for any publicly traded company. Failures of corporate governance hurt investor confidence and can reduce the value of the firm’s stock. Good governance has several elements, and positively influences investors in several ways.
The Elements of Effective Governance
A good system of corporate governance has to include several elements of smart business practice:
- A fundamental focus on ethics
- Clear alignment between corporate goals and governance
- Appropriate management strategy
- The right organizational structure
- Effective financial risk reporting
The right governance structure reassures regulators, employees, and investors in more than one way.
How Effective Governance Influences Investors
The better the company’s governance, the more the firm and investors stand to gain in several ways:
- Institutional investors get a greater financial return
- The firm addresses society’s social and environmental concerns
- The steady cash flow is good for the economy.
A company can realize all of those benefits by structuring its financial management properly.
How to Boost Investor Confidence
Experts suggest a number of ways that public companies can inspire more confidence in investors. A corporate strategy that is financially, legally, and ethically sound assumed. Beyond that, investors like to see responsible and sustainable strategies for attracting investors, a board that has the appropriate background for managing investments, and C-level executives who clearly understand the fundamentals of corporate governance described above.
If your company needs guidance on the legal aspects of governance, our Coachella Valley corporate law firm can help.