Slovak Baron Empey Murphy & Pinkney LLP
1800 E. Tahquitz Canyon Way
Palm Springs, California 92262
Katelyn K. Empey is an associate attorney in Slovak Baron Empey Murphy & Pinkney LLP’s (SBEMP) civil litigation department. Ms. Empey’s practice encompasses a wide variety of matters, primarily environmental and land use, labor and employment litigation, public agency law, and tribal law. Ms. Empey has worked on behalf of law enforcement, public agencies, Indian Tribes, and private citizens on complex civil litigation.
Ms. Empey has experience in the areas of CEQA litigation and compliance, and has successfully represented clients in resolving complex CEQA disputes. In particular, Ms. Empey advises cities, special districts and private clients on all aspects of the CEQA process, including the CEQA project entitlement and permitting process; as well as provides defense in CEQA-related litigation. Ms. Empey has previously worked with public agencies regarding substantial litigation over the certification of Environmental Impact Reports (EIR) and Notices of Exemption, and settlement of challenges to prospective projects.
Ms. Empey also advises clients on complex laws impacting public agencies, including environmental laws and regulations, Proposition 218 and 26, mitigation fees, land use approvals, statutory powers, and public contracts. Ms. Empey has experience advising public agencies and private clients on the complex federal, state and local laws and regulations governing medicinal and recreational cannabis, including the Medicinal and Adult-Use Cannabis Regulation and Safety Act (MAUCRSA) and related agency regulations, and regularly drafts local ordinances, resolutions and policies for public agencies regulating commercial cannabis activities.
In addition, Ms. Empey assists in defense of lawsuits alleging discrimination, harassment and retaliation, wage and hour claims, including PAGA and class actions, as well as ADA violations.
Ms. Empey is named one of Palm Springs Life Magazine’s (PSL) Top Attorneys in “Land Use and Environment” in 2017 through 2019, and included in PSL’s 2018 top “40 under Forty” in the Coachella Valley.
- University of California, Santa Barbara, B.A., Business Economics, cum laude (2009)
- Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, J.D., concentration in Environmental Law (2013)
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE:
- California State Bar (2013)
- United States District Court, Central District of California (2013)
- United States District Court, Southern District of California (2017)
- United States District Court, Northern District of California (2017)
- United States District Court, Eastern District of California (2017)
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals (2017)
AFFILIATIONS AND ACTIVITIES:
- The State Bar of California, Litigation and Environmental Law Sections
- Desert Bar Association
- Leadership Coachella Valley, Class of 2015
- Leadership Coachella Valley Alumni Council